Chapter 1. The Pace for Living by R. C. Hutchinson – Complete Solutions (BSEB Class 10 English Chapter 1 / Panorama)
Looking for easy and complete solutions of “The Pace for Living” by R. C. Hutchinson for Bihar Board Class 10 English? This is the first chapter of the Panorama textbook. The essay talks about the fast pace of modern life and how it affects slow thinkers. Here you will find every question answered in simple language – discussion, short answers, long answers, group discussion, composition, word study, grammar (Gerund & Reported Speech), activity and translation. All exercises from A to G are covered without skipping anything so you can score full marks.
About the Chapter
R. C. Hutchinson was a British novelist. In this essay he shows how modern life has become very fast. He says he is a “slow thinker” and feels left behind in today’s rapid world of cinema, cars and machines. The essay makes us think whether speed is always good for human beings.
A. Work in small groups and do the following
Talk to your friends and seek their opinion on the life-style of the modern youth:
B. Answer the following questions briefly
C.1. Long Answer Questions
It is both an advantage and a disadvantage. It gives thrill and convenience, but it also creates mental pressure and leaves slow thinkers behind.
Slow thinkers are handicapped today because modern life, intelligence tests, jobs and even entertainment demand quick thinking. They get low marks in tests and feel left behind in the fast world.
It suggests that modern man is often confused and lost in the fast-moving world. Even simple entertainment becomes difficult for slow thinkers.
C.2. Group Discussion
Yes, life has become very fast. People are always in a hurry. There is no time for family, friends or relaxation. Technology has made everything quick but also stressful.
Many western people come to India for yoga, meditation and peace because they feel tired of their fast and stressful life. India still offers a slower and more peaceful way of living.
C.3. Composition
1. Letter to Mother
Prompt: Write a letter to your mother about a hectic day that you spent.
Patna
28 August 2026
My dear Mother,
I hope you are fine. Today was a very hectic day for me. I had to wake up early for extra classes. Then there was a unit test, followed by a sports practice. In the evening I had to prepare a project. I got free only at 9 o’clock. I felt very tired.
I miss your home-cooked food and the peaceful atmosphere at home.
Your loving son,
Amit
2. Notice Writing
Venue: School Auditorium
Date: 5 September 2026
Time: 11:00 a.m.
All are requested to be present on time.
Drama Society
D. Word Study
D.1. Dictionary Use / Word Formation
Make new words (Latin/Greek origin style):
D.2. & D.3. Word Meaning – Match the Words
| Column A | Column B (Correct Meaning) |
|---|---|
| gratefully | with a feeling of gratitude |
| tribe | a group of people of the same race |
| prejudice | a pre-conceived idea |
| despair | state of hopelessness |
| illustration | example |
E. Grammar
Gerund (Verbal Noun)
Ex.1. Use the Verbs as gerund given in brackets:
- Tom stopped working.
- My father doesn’t enjoy going to a doctor.
- Seeing is believing.
- I like swimming in this river.
- Flying planes is not an easy job.
- I like watching games.
- I don’t like waiting here for an hour.
Capital Letters (Proper Nouns)
- I went to Delhi and stayed there for three days.
- I spoke to Rajan about my visit to Mysore.
- We went to Delhi University via Aruna Asaf Ali Marg.
Direct to Indirect Speech (Reported Speech)
Ex.5. Change into Indirect Speech:
- My mother said that it might rain.
- I said that I could do it.
- The culprit told the judge that he was innocent.
- Mukul told me that I didn’t help him.
- Vinayak told Amar that he would play the following day.
- Rajan said that I was doing well.
- My teacher told me that I was doing well.
- Arif told Lata that they would help the poor.
- The teacher told the Principal that he did not sing well.
- She said that he had not seen the Taj Mahal.
- My teacher said that the Sun rises in the east.
F. Activity
Prompt: Make a list of the items which have made human life luxurious and fast.
G. Translation
Translate the following passage into Hindi:
"As an example, when I go to the cinema I find myself in a hopeless fog, and after two or three minutes I have to turn to my wife for enlightenment. I whisper: “Is this the same girl as the one we saw at the beginning?” And she whispers back: “No, there are three girls in this film – a tall blonde, a short blonde, and a medium-sized brunette. Call them A, B, and C. The hero is that man who takes his hat off when he comes indoors. He is going to fall in love with girls B, C, A in that order.” And so it proves to be. There you have a mind which has trained itself to work in high gear – though as a matter of fact it can work in other gears just as well. But my point is that most of my fellow-patients in the cinema do think fast enough to keep up comfortably with rapid changes of scene and action. They think much faster than people did thirty years ago: possibly because those who do not think fast in the High Street nowadays may not get another chance in this world to think at all."
उदाहरण के लिए, जब मैं सिनेमा जाता हूँ तो मैं खुद को एक निराशाजनक कोहरे में पाता हूँ, और दो-तीन मिनट बाद मुझे अपनी पत्नी की ओर समझाने के लिए मुड़ना पड़ता है। मैं फुसफुसाता हूँ: “क्या यह वही लड़की है जिसे हमने शुरुआत में देखा था?” और वह फुसफुसाकर जवाब देती है: “नहीं, इस फिल्म में तीन लड़कियाँ हैं – एक लंबी सुनहरी बालों वाली, एक छोटी सुनहरी बालों वाली, और एक मध्यम आकार की भूरे बालों वाली। उन्हें ए, बी और सी कहो। हीरो वह आदमी है जो घर के अंदर आने पर अपनी टोपी उतारता है। वह लड़कियों बी, सी, ए से उसी क्रम में प्यार करेगा।” और ऐसा ही होता है। यहाँ तुम्हारे पास एक ऐसा दिमाग है जिसने खुद को उच्च गियर में काम करने के लिए प्रशिक्षित कर लिया है – हालाँकि वास्तव में वह अन्य गियर में भी उतना ही अच्छा काम कर सकता है। लेकिन मेरी बात यह है कि सिनेमा में मेरे अधिकांश साथी-दर्शक दृश्य और क्रिया के तीव्र परिवर्तनों के साथ आराम से तालमेल रखने के लिए पर्याप्त तेज़ी से सोचते हैं। वे तीस साल पहले के लोगों की तुलना में बहुत तेज़ी से सोचते हैं: संभवतः इसलिए क्योंकि जो लोग आज हाई स्ट्रीट में तेज़ी से नहीं सोचते, उन्हें इस दुनिया में सोचने का दूसरा मौका ही नहीं मिल सकता।
0 Comments